Procedures for Naming Facilities
All new schools being built with 2008 bond funds have been named. See the list of new school names in the documents box on the right of this page.
Members of the public have an opportunity to submit names for new/existing schools and facilities to the Dallas ISD Board of Trustees, which annually considers such recommendations. The customary deadline for submitting recommendations for names of facilities and portions of facilities is March 31. Members of the board vote on the names at their June meeting.
Anyone can submit recommendations by completing the Facility Naming Form found in the documents box on the right of this page.
In general, facilities and portions of facilities can be named for:
- Persons who have attained prominence locally or nationally based on contributions to the public in recognized fields;
- Early pioneers of Dallas or the state of Texas or presidents of the United States;
- Distinctive geographical locations;
- An individual or group that makes a major capital donation of land for the facility or a significant monetary donation for construction costs.
The following information provides guidelines for submitting names for consideration.
- Policy CW (LOCAL) states the complete guidelines and process for naming facilities and portions of facilities.