Balch Springs Middle School
- Grade Levels: 6 - 8
- Classrooms: 63
- Student Capacity: 1,250
- Building Size: 199,246 sq. ft.
- Site Area: 15.893 acres
- Environmentally Sustainable School
In addition to core classrooms, facility will include:
- Four special education classrooms
- Two visual arts classrooms
- Four performing arts classrooms
- Three instructional technology classrooms
- Four career education classrooms
- Over 595 geothermal wells to provide cost effective heating and cooling
- Use of white concrete for site paving to reduce the amount of surface heating
- Irrigation commissioning plan
- Water management system
- Recycling of construction waste
- Ducted return air for heating and cooling systems
Site Special Features:
- A city of Dallas park is located adjacent to the school to the south.
- NTPSA (North Texas Premier Soccer Association) fields are located adjacent to the school to the east.
- At just under 16 acres, the site is small for a middle school, requiring the building to have a 3-story classroom wing
- Adjacent to the school, a 4,500 square foot Youth and Family Center will include counseling and therapy rooms with a pharmacy and a lab
Biography of Balch Springs
The city of Balch Springs, located 10 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, was founded around 1879 when John M. Balch and his family moved to the then unincorporated area of Dallas County. The Balch family found three springs on their land, one of which was never dry. The spring was cleared and bricked and became a meeting place for families living near the area who came to fill their water buckets and barrels. Although the Balch family did not remain in the area, the local residents began referring to the rural community as Balch Springs.
During the early 1900s, the Balch Springs community consisted mostly of farms, a cemetery, a church, and a county school. Its growth was slow until after World War II, at which time the community began to grow rapidly along with the city of Dallas and other Dallas County towns. Because of this rapid growth, it attracted the attention of Dallas leaders who wanted to annex the community. In 1953, to avoid annexation, the Balch Springs residents voted to incorporate. The new city took in parts of the communities of Balch Springs, Five Points, Jonesville, Kleberg, Rylie, Triangle, and Zipp City, which roughly form the city’s current boundaries.
Although the town has maintained its importance as a residential community, with more than 23,500 residents, it is also home to a multimillion-dollar telecommunications corporation and a combination of industrial, retail, and family-owned businesses.
The future success of Balch Springs relies on the education of its children. As part of the Dallas Independent School District’s 2008 bond program, Balch Springs Middle School is being built to serve children in grades six through eight living in the southwest portion of Balch Springs. This environmentally sustainable and technologically advanced school will give these children every opportunity for educational success and prepare them to become leaders within the community they will one day serve.