Seagoville North Elementary School
- Grade Levels: Pre-K – 5
- Classrooms: 39
In addition to standard academic classrooms, facility will include:
- Science labs
- Computer labs
- Media center
- Space for performing and visual arts
- Multipurpose room
- Outdoor playfield and playgrounds
- Students: 821
- Building Size: 106, 462 square feet
High-Performance and Environmental Sustainability
- Designed using the Collaborative for High Performance School (CHPS) Design Guidelines
- Geo-thermal heat pump system (250 – 300 foot deep geothermal wells beneath playfields) used for building cooling and heating
- Native landscaping and heat reflective roofing
- Site size: 10 acres
- Site topography: 18’ of topographic rise from Seagoville Road
- Site circulation: parking and traffic separated to disperse/reduce traffic, conflicts/congestion
- Three (3) new roadways around the perimeter of the school
- Summer 2012
Biography of Seagoville
Ask Seagoville leaders to describe their city and you’ll hear about a community with a proud history that is growing, vibrant and positioning itself for future expansion and economic development. Advancements like a multi-year capital improvement program, enhancements to public safety, financial and business operations project future growth and development.
Seagoville has come a long way since its founding in 1876, when with no more than $200 in dry goods and groceries and the desire to build a prosperous city, T.K. Seago cleared dense timber to make room for his self-named community southeast of Dallas. Once dubbed “Small Town U.S.A.” by an U.S. Marine Corps recruiting office, today the thriving suburban community retains its hometown pride.
In the years after its founding, the fledging city expanded to include a one-room log cabin school, churches and a second general store. Seago was later renamed Seagoville and in 1881 received an economic boost in the form of the Texas Trunk Railroad line, which transformed the area into a flourishing rail center. Farmers benefited from the ability to ship their crops to Dallas on the railroad instead of by wagon. Locks on the Trinity River several miles south of the city allowed incoming freight for the area to travel via river barges. Decades later, during times of severe drought, portions of the locks are still visible, reminding residents of the city’s early history as an important stop in the Trinity River food distribution system.
When the Great Depression hit, closing the Seagoville Bank and many other businesses, two new entities offered an economic lifeline. A federal detention center and the Seagoville Community Cannery fueled the city’s growth over the next several decades.
In 1957, fire destroyed the community’s high school, requiring students to attend school in nearby Pleasant Grove. Five years later, the Seagoville school district merged with the Dallas Independent School District. Over time, the merger led to the creation of elementary, middle and high schools, named to honor their hometown.
Today, Seagoville still strongly reflects its roots and enjoys a robust and steady growth in population and economic development. This is evidenced by the increasing presence of retail outlets and small manufacturers. Crediting its economic partners, the Seagoville Economic Development Corporation and the Seagoville Chamber of Commerce, leaders say their city is proud of its heritage and focused on its future.